Greens supplements are super popular on the market right now for a lot of great reasons. But unfortunately, there is a ton of misinformation and false statements regarding these products, which causes a lot of confusion on when, how, and if you even should take them.
To sum it up, a greens supplement will allow you to consume a concentrated version of several veggies, fruits, and herbs in a convenient pill or powdered form. If used correctly, greens supplements can greatly benefit dietary health. But if used incorrectly, they can potentially affect insulin sensitivity and future muscle growth. So before you dive into a greens supplement, please read my responses to the most frequent questions I get asked about them as this will greatly clarify when and how to take them!
Q1: When is the best time to drink my greens?
- I personally believe it is best to consume your greens supplements first thing in the morning. It’ll not only flood your system with nutrients, but most greens supplements contain a little bit of caffeine, so it will give you a nice morning energy boost! Again, this is just my personal preference. There truly isn’t a specific time you should take your greens BUT I will advise you to not consume them directly after a workout. Research shows that dosing your body with high amounts of antioxidants post-workout can put the brakes on the capacity to build muscle. Increased insulin sensitivity is one of the biggest benefits of exercise, but supplementing antioxidants after a hard workout can also decrease insulin sensitivity, thus putting the brake on the ‘gains’. To avoid this, I typically suggest not having your greens 2-3 hours following your workout.
Q2: Should a greens supplement replace actual fruits and veggies in my diet?
- Greens supplements are not a direct replacement for eating fruits and vegetables. But I will say if you are one (like myself) that just does not enjoy eating any type of veggie, then a greens supplement is a great option, as you’ll still benefit from the antioxidants, phytochemicals, vitamins, and minerals that a greens supplement typically provides!
Q3: What is the best way to consume a greens supplement?
- This is totally all personal preference. I simply mix mine in 12 oz. of water and consume it before breakfast. But I also have clients that enjoy mixing it in a cup of coffee in the morning as well.
Q4: How often should I consume a greens supplement?
- When taking a greens supplement, the “once a day” approach is usually best to truly get the full benefits out of the supplement itself. Because of how nutritious a greens supplement usually is, one serving a day should be able to help fill any nutritional gaps in your diet. (provided that you’re already following a well balanced diet).
Q5: I heard greens supplements taste a little funky, is that true?
- Not going to lie here, I definitely never found a greens supplement that tasted amazing. I mean c’mon guys, you are drinking veggies, fruits, and other herbs mixed as one, of course the taste is going to be something special. I don’t have a hard time putting the greens supplement back, but it’s just not something I will sit down and casually sip on as the taste is a little blah.
I hope this clears up any confusion when it comes to a greens supplement! And as always, if you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out! Also, if you would like to try the greens supplement that I currently take, please click here!